Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- I have read the Aims and Scope of the journal, and confirm that the subject matter of submission is covered within it.
The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
I hereby confirm that the article in no way whatever a violation of any existing copyright and that it contains nothing obscene, objectionable, indecent, or of a libelous or scandalous character or nature. I will include a declaration to this effect in the cover letter.
I am willing to publish the work in open access under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) license.
The Editor of Ecology, Economy and Society--the INSEE journal may cause this work to be included in the journal.
- The text file is in Microsoft Word 1997-2003 (.doc) file format and not in .docx.
- I shall submit (a) a Cover Letter, (b) Title and Author Information, (c) Abstract, (d) Anonymized Text in four separate files.
- Where available, DOI and URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines [Chicago Manual of Style 2017 author-date references style (parenthetical citation) for all citations and references]..
- I shall provide the raw data files to the journal, upon request, to recreate maps, diagrams, figures and other such.
These would include exhaustive literature survey articles on relevant knowledge domains and their critiques; must not exceed 4000 words and no more than six display items (graphs or tables) —each issue would ordinarily carry no more than two Thematic Essay (or Literature Survey). It provides an exhaustive account of relevant knowledge domains. Does not report original research
These would be contributions that address substantive research questions, contribute new insight and provide new findings in the relevant knowledge domain; must not exceed 8000 words and no more than eight display items (graphs or tables). Each issue would ordinarily carry no more than five Research Papers.
Research papers must report original, previously unpublished research. The papers should be conceptually and methodologically sound. Papers using a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods are encouraged. Substance, accuracy and careful interpretation are far more important than method for its own sake, though the methods should follow best practice.
This section will include (a) Comments on published works and (b) Responses to Comments from the Author(s), if any.
Insights from the Field
(Previously "Notes from the Field")
These would include recordings/writings of researchers during field work, experiential and ethnographic accounts; must not exceed 1500 words and no more than two display items (graphs or tables)—each issue would carry no more than two Notes. They are expected to capture interesting observations or insights gained from the field, that may not be included in a research paper.
It offers a critical evaluation of the content, quality, significance of a book. These would typically be invited (but not limited to) contributions; must not exceed 1000 words (unless multiple books are combined or in the case of edited volumes) and no more than two display items (graphs or tables)—each issue would carry no more than four Book Reviews.
These would be synoptic coverage of conferences, workshops, seminars, meetings, symposium, for general dissemination; must not exceed 1000 words —each issue would ordinairly carry no more than two Reports.
This section is only for invited essays, that does not fall under the other sections
Special Section: Political Ecology
Only authors whose extended abstract has been shortliested by the editors may submit to this special section.
- All the papers will undergo a double-blind peer review.
- Reviewers will be identified by the guest editors.
- Copy-editing support will be provided by the journal office
- Submission of Extended Abstract (1000 words): 15th January 2023
- Acceptance of abstract: 30th January 2023
- Submission of full paper: 28th February 2023
Only invited contributions are accepted.
The author(s) retain copyright on work published by INSEE unless specified otherwise.
Licensing and publishing rights
Author(s) of work published by INSEE are required to transfer non-exclusive publishing right to INSEE of the definitive work in any format, language and medium, for any lawful purpose.
Authors who publish in Ecology, Economy and Society will release their articles under the Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0) license. This license allows anyone to copy and distribute the article for non-commercial purposes provided that appropriate attribution is given.
For details of the rights that the authors grant users of their work, see the "human-readable summary" of the license, with a link to the full license. (Note that "you" refers to a user, not an author, in the summary.)
The authors retain the non-exclusive right to do anything they wish with the published article(s), provided attribution is given to the Ecology, Economy and Society—the INSEE Journal with details of the original publication, as set out in the official citation of the article published in the journal. The retained right specifically includes the right to post the article on the authors’ or their institution’s websites or in institutional repositories.
In case of re-publishing a previously published work, author may note that earlier publication may have taken place a license different from Creative Commons. In all such cases of re-publishing, we advise the authors to consult the applicable licence at article level.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.